Adventures of a Gastronome in Training (GIT)

One amateur foodie's quest for culinary enlightenment. Musings on cooking, dining, food products, basically all things edible are fair game.

Thursday, July 08, 2004

Sour Cherry Compote



Last weekend, Marty and I successfully hosted our first brunch in our New York home. Special thanks to all whom attended. For the bagels, we had Nova lox and whitefish chubs from Russ & Daughters, fresh tomatoes and dill from the Union Square Greenmarket. For my homemade crepes, I made two compotes, strawberry and sour cherry. This was my first sour cherry cooking experience. I am converted, so much truer cherry flavor, not just the sweet, though pleasant, flavor you get from Bings or Raniers. Just don't eat them raw, very tart. Given that Michigan, where I spent the first 22 years of my life, is known for sour cherry orchards, I guess my new found sour cherry allegiance is another way to represent my roots. Let’s hear it for the Great Lake State!

I had recently read a bit in the June 7th Rosengarten Report singing the praises of said sour cherry. It cited the short season and general difficulties in getting one’s hands on them. When I spotted them at the Union Square Greenmarket, I took my chances, bought a pint, and set out to find a recipe. I ended up using the following:

Sour Cherry Compote

2.5 cups sour cherries (pitted and halved)
0.5 T vanilla extract
3 T freshly squeezed lemon juice
3 T sugar
2/3 cup water

Mix all ingredients except one cup cherries in a sauce pan. Heat to a boil. Maintain boil for 7 minutes. Add remaining cherries and boil for another 2-3 minutes.


Delish, delish delish!!! My personal highlight of the brunch. Paired nicely, I understand, with Nutella on the crepes.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Web Development Company said...

Such a wonderful blog for full of entertainment. Thanks for the share.

3:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

this site listed on
blogwise
www.blogwise.com

Jennie/Female. Lives in United States/Jennie Auster/New York, speaks English. Eye color is blue.